People don't have time to think about their lifestyle. They eat on the go, they sleep as little as possible, they work more than they do anything else during their day, because that's how life works. The "health freaks" who actually think about what they put into their mouths, exercise, meditate, etc, have more time in their hands than the average working person, and that's why they manage to be more healthy.
Yes, life can certainly be challenging. It can be extremely stressful at times, and the last thing you want to do during those times is for example cook. I get it. We are all there some days. And some days even the most health-conscious person doesn't do a very good job being healthy. But the difference between somebody who has adopted a healthy lifestyle and one who hasn't is not, for the most part, time. It's prioritisation. Most importantly, a person who has adopted a healthy lifestyle has found the intrinsic motivation deep inside for health, that helps him/her stay on this path (a health coach can help you tap into that).
Like last time in my blog post about only rich people affording to be healthy, let’s look at some examples in the areas I work on with my clients:
1) Sleep and Relaxation. Do we really only have 5 or 6 hours available to sleep? Or do we spend time pointlessly scrolling down facebook and instagram feeds or binging on Netflix episodes, not going to bed before we're dead tired (but wired because of the screen exposure, so unable to sleep)?
2) Exercise and Movement. Going to the swimming pool that's 30 minutes away from your house after work? Ouf. But you can be active within your day - for example walking to work rather than taking the car, taking a 30-minute pause for a brisk walk at work, or doing a HIIT (high intensity interval training) or Tabata training at home for 20 minutes. I'm sure noone will argue that they don't have 20 minutes to spare.
3) Nutrition. Starting a complicated recipe from scratch that needs 1 and a half hours baking time? Who has time for that?! There are many uncomplicated ways for you to quickly put together a highly nutritious meal. One idea is meal-prep: chopping veggies and cooking grains on Sunday that can last you all the way to Wednesday for example. The way you cook also matters. Steaming is faster than baking for example.
4) Stress. Taking 1 hour a day to basically "do nothing" by meditating? No time for that, huh? Meditation doesn't have to last long for it to bring benefits. Actually 10 minutes of deep breathing each morning might already make a huge difference for you.
5) Social connection and relationships. You would love to spend more time with the people you love, but you never seem to come round to doing it. Putting it in your schedule as a moment of self-care, taking the initiative to make the first move, might be the only thing you need. Not more time.
Working with a health coach to figure out how to balance your lifestyle might demand some of your time (possibly 300 minutes of your life) but it will help you build healthy, sustainable habits that will fit into your busy life, if time is scarce. In fact, it's one of the biggest benefits of health coaching: contrary to what you might think, it won't add to your schedule as it's 100% individual-so if you're super busy, you and your coach will not add make your life even more busy!
Don't get me wrong: I am not judging anyone for saying that they don't have time. However, while it's very easy to use this excuse, it can be just as easy to have a coach on your side, somebody to talk to that can help you put your life in order in a way that honors your body, mind and soul.
Stay tuned for another myth busting blog post soon: “A healthy lifestyle is boring".
This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.